Areas of Practice
Melissa practices in workplace, industrial relations and employment law. She has a particular interest in assisting clients to take a proactive approach to building an exceptional workplace, rather than just mitigating risks when problems arise.
Melissa has experience working with large private sector clients across various industries including education, local and state government, statutory authorities, healthcare, professional services and labour hire. She has been involved in large projects and matters including High Court litigation, business restructures and complex workplace investigations. She has also advised employers on a range of employment-related matters, including post-employment restraints, misconduct and performance management, termination of employment (including negotiated settlements), discrimination and FWC proceedings. She has a keen interest in alternative dispute resolution, is a trained mediator and regularly conducts workplace training.
Experience and expertise
Recent examples of work undertaken by Melissa include:
- Arbitrating Code of Conduct breaches
- Acting for a professional association in Federal Court proceedings
- Advising the Board of an education sector client regarding complaints made about the executive leadership team. Included overseeing a workplace review and managing the exit of a number of members of the leadership team
- Conducting investigations into allegations under the Reportable Conduct Scheme
- Conducting a workplace review for a statutory authority.
- Advising organisations on employment issues relating to complex restructures, including risk mitigation strategies with respect to anticipated industrial action.
- Designing and delivering a national training program to a tertiary institution on EEO and bullying.
- Advising and representing organisations in relation to employment disputes, including unfair dismissals, general protections and anti-bullying claims.
Professional and community engagement
Melissa is often invited to present on various employment law topics at industry professional development seminars. She has also published a number of articles in industry publications. Melissa is a member of the Australasian Association of Workplace Investigators and mentors law students through the Victorian Women Lawyers mentoring program.