As the rollout of Australia’s COVID-19 vaccination program continues, the issues and impacts of the rollout on workforces remains front of mind for employers. Our own Graham Dent and Taboka Finn were joined by barrister Gemma Cafarella to answer the following questions. To listen to their specific answers please click the links below, or, to view the recording from the beginning, click here.
- Would it be a lawful and reasonable direction for an employer to require an employee to get vaccinated? Answer.
- Would requiring employees to have the vaccine be a reasonably practicable measure under OHS law? Answer.
- Is the Charter likely to prevent Public Sector employers requiring employees to be vaccinated? Answer.
- Should employers bear in mind privacy implications when gathering medical information about employees? Answer.
- What happens if an employee refuses to be vaccinated even if it is mandatory? Can an employer take disciplinary action? Answer.
- How do you deal with an employee who refuses to attend work as they know their colleagues are not vaccinated? Answer.