Melissa practices in workplace, industrial relations and employment law. She has a particular interest in assisting clients to take a proactive approach to building an exceptional workplace, rather than just mitigating risks when problems arise.
Melissa has experience working with large private sector clients across various industries including education, retail, security, hospitality, healthcare, finance, construction and labour hire. She has been involved in large projects and matters including a High Court litigation, WHS prosecutions, business restructures and negotiating enterprise agreements. She has also advised employers on a range of employment-related matters, including post-employment restraints, industrial instrument coverage and interpretation, misconduct and performance management, termination of employment (including negotiated settlements), discrimination, workplace investigations and FWC proceedings.
Recent examples of work undertaken by Melissa include:
- Acting for a large, multi-national employer on a disputed enterprise agreement application.
- Advising organisations on employment issues relating to complex restructures, including risk mitigation strategies with respect to anticipated industrial action.
- Designing and delivering a national training program to a tertiary institution on EEO and bullying.
- Advising and representing organisations in relation to employment disputes, including unfair dismissals, general protections and anti-bullying claims.
- Advising and assisting a labour-hire firm in the defence of a WorkSafe prosecution.
- Assisting a national retailer to develop a strategy related to ill and injured employees.
Melissa is often invited to present on various employment law topics at industry professional development seminars. She has also published a number of articles in industry publications. Melissa is a member of the Australasian Association of Workplace Investigators and mentors law students through the Victorian Women Lawyers mentoring program.
03 8621 4520 Direct
Bachelor of Arts, University of Melbourne, 2001
Graduate Diploma of Law, BPP Law School, London 2007
Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, London 2008
Australasian Association of Workplace Investigators
Law Institute of Victoria
Victorian Women Lawyers