Laura practices in general employment and discrimination law and has particular expertise in disciplinary matters and in diversity and inclusion programs. She regularly assists clients with the management of sexual harassment and bullying claims as well as the defence of unfair dismissal and general protections applications. She advises clients on a range of workplace policy and contract matters, as well as the interpretation of modern awards and workplace legislation.
Laura has extensive experience in conducting workplace investigations. She also has experience as an arbiter and has conducted arbitration hearings into code of conduct disputes.
Recent examples of work undertaken by Laura include the following:
- Conducting an arbitration hearing regarding a code of conduct complaint and preparing written findings and recommendations as to sanctions.
- Conducting a complex organisation-wide investigation involving sensitive allegations, multiple complainants and respondents.
- Advising on contracts, award compliance and policies for a start-up company.
- Drafting a social media policy for a professional services organisation.
- Presenting training to an entire workforce on EEO, Bullying and OHS.
- Presenting unconscious bias training for senior managers at a professional services firm and at an education services provider.
Laura is a member of the Critical Friends advisory group for Club Respect, an initiative of the Victorian Women’s Trust aimed at creating an action framework for Australian sporting codes and their clubs to build a culture of respect, non-violence and gender equality. Laura also serves on the Board of Melbourne Youth Orchestras and chairs its Workforce and Remuneration Committee.
Laura is a regular speaker at industry conferences on topics such flexible working programs, social media at work and unconscious bias. She has also published numerous articles on these and other topics in industry journals and the mainstream media.
03 8621 4568 Direct
Master of Laws, University of Melbourne, 2014 – ongoing
Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Melbourne, 2006
Bachelor of Arts, University of Melbourne, 2006
Australasian Association of Workplace Investigators
Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association
Law Institute of Victoria
Victorian Women Lawyers